Top Social

.
Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Mardi Gras 2016 + VLOG

It's Fat Tuesday, y'all! Which translates to "Mardi Gras" in French... and it's honestly just one giant party! I thought it would be fun to show all of you Mardi Gras virgins what a day at the carnival looks like. You can make friends with anyone (they'll probably even offer you a beer!), see all of the beautiful floats and wild costumes, catch a few good throws, and all while trying not to splash your drink anywhere.



After hopping off the street car, my friend, Renee, and I trecked down St. Charles until we found a nice little corner that wasn't overly packed! The day parade we caught was Thoth, themed after an ancient Egyptian god. I've always loved catching this parade because it's family friendly and my mom rode as a maid years ago! I'll always catch her a doubloon they throw with the krewes name stamped on it.

During the two hour lull in the parade route, Renee and I decided to partake in some greasy, delicious, cajun food from Superior Seafood - spinach & artichoke dip, crawfish cornbread (oh yeah, baby), and a shrimp poboy. Down here, we don't play around when it comes to food! Don't let me forget to tell you about the 2 large, frozen pomegranate mojitos we also took part in - yes yes yes! By the time we were finished eating the next parade was on its way! Sunday nights parade is Bacchus, themed after the god of wine, and is known for how spectacular its floats truly are. I don't think anyone was too worried about the Super Bowl, we were all too mesmerized by the Bacchus's lights. 
I love all of the culture found in New Orleans, from the historic homes to the thick accents. Mardi Gras is another reminder of what there is to love about this city. I hope everyone reading this has a drink, even if you aren't from 'round here!

Happy Mardi Gras!
Katie
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment