My mom has taught me mostly everything I know about decorating. Our main priority - what's cost effective but going to look good! So I've made a list of a few pointers my mom always gave me that anyone could benefit from no matter what holiday or season you're decorating for!
Decorating Top Tips:
- Find staple pieces like a vase, or jars and bowls, ect., that are easy to change floral or decorative pieces from season to season
- Be wise! Pick up most of your items from Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowes where they'll have lower prices on things like the tree (if you go fake), lights, and small filler bulbs.
- Don't underestimate dollar stores! We've found a lot of cute filler bulbs there as well.
- Splurge on your larger bulbs that will be the center of attention
- Put your larger oraments on first. Using 2-4 of the same on each side, then go in with your smaller, filler ornaments
- Use filler such as floral, ribbon, decorative wiring to spruce up a tree
- Reflective things open a room up and add more light to a room
Tall, white vase, clear jar, and floral - Michael's
Joy sign ($25), Nutcracker ($10), and lantern - Target
Apothecary, picture frame, and decorative bowl - Hobby Lobby (2013-14)
Decorative bulbs - Michael's
7 FT. Tree w/o lights - Walmart
Blinking lights - Target
Glittery filler bulbs, red snowflakes, brown and red encased with gold ornaments - Walmart (2014)
Large sequined gold bulbs, burgundy with gold design, and tree topper - Hobby Lobby (2014)
Cardinals - Michael's
White 6.5 FT. Tree w/o lights - Walmart (be careful how you store these, mine did turn color)
Cool LED lights w/ white strand - Walmart
Purple bejewled ornaments, blue sequinced w/ feathers, pink snow flakes and purple glitter dangles for fill - Walmart
Large multi-colored retro ornaments, sequinced light bulbs, lipstick tube & purse, and large purple & pink round ornaments, pink glitter bursts throughout tree as fill - Hobby Lobby
I hope you enjoyed this post and found some of it useful! I do state that some products were purchased in previous years but you can definitely still find similar items. Hobby Lobby and Michael's always have the same kind of selection! Let me know how you decorate your home for the holidays and what are your favorite traditions?